Friday, December 14, 2007

Nothing Short of Wonderful


When I saw these on Kyla's blog, I knew I wanted to make them part of my holiday gift packages. I love shortbread cookies, and discovered my love for chocolate dipped shortbread when we got married. We were married in Hawaii, so we gave our guests these wonderful macademia nut shortbread cookies dipped in chocolate from Big Island Candies in our 'Out of Town' gift bags as a token of our thanks to those who came all the way to Hawaii to join us. If you're looking for a sweet gift idea and don't want to spend your time in the kitchen, I would highly recommend the cookies from Big Island Candies!

Make sure you use the mini morsels in these cookies unless you are a super chocolate lover; I think they would be too chocolately (is there such a thing?!) otherwise. Using Kyla's tip to freeze these before dipping, I was able to make a whole batch and only have two cookies break on me :)

Chocolate Chip Shortbread Sticks
from Kyla's Cookies


1 cup of butter (2 sticks)
1/2 cup of confectioner's sugar
2 cups of flour
1/2 cup of Nestle mini chocolate chips

For dipping:
1/2 bag of milk chocolate chips (I used 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1 tsp shortening)

Preheat oven to 350F.

Beat all ingredients together, except chocolate chips. Stir in chips.

Shape heaping tablespoons of dough into 3" think logs. Place on non-stick or lightly greased cookie sheets.

Bake until the bottoms are lightly browned. Remove from cookie sheet and place on waxed paper, carefully, to cool. Freeze overnight or longer.

Melt a half bag of milk chocolate chips in a double boiler. If you do not have a double boiler, melt the chocolate in your microwave on high heat for 1 minute, at 30 seconds intervals, stirring well between each interval. If the chocolate is not completely melted, continue heating it in your microwave in 10 second intervals, stirring well between each interval, and being careful not to burn the chocolate. Dip each stick into the chocolate about 1/3 the way up. Immediately place on waxed paper. Chill to solidify chocolate.

Yield: Approximately 24 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment