Tuesday, February 26, 2008

TWD: Pecan Sour Cream Biscuits



I had mixed feelings when I found out that this week's recipe, chosen by Ashley of eat me, delicious, was the Pecan Sour Cream Biscuits. I love biscuits and I loved how quick and easy the recipe looked. On the flip side, I don't like nuts, and I have very little experience making biscuits from scratch. Most of the biscuits I've made in the past were from Bisquick. So I wasn't sure if I would be successful with this recipe.


Funny thing is, I grew up in California, so the only biscuits I knew growing up were from KFC! Then I met my husband who grew up in the South. I remember the first time I was treated to his mom's homemade biscuits... oh my. I rarely come across a biscuit that is as good as hers. The only biscuit that is better is his grandmother's!


I played around with this recipe a little. I omitted the pecans, as I don't like nuts. I also used buttermilk instead of whole milk because I didn't feel like running to store to pick some up. Oh, and I also don't have a biscuit cutter, so I just used a small glass instead. You can use cookie cutters if you don't have a biscuit cutter (I don't even have cookie cutters!).


Dorie describes these as "too good" and "caramelish because of the brown sugar." I was hoping that they would be sweeter from the brown sugar, but the "caramelish" flavor was very subtle. I was extremely cautious not to overwork the dough to avoid warming the butter too much, and while my biscuits did puff up, they weren't quite as flaky as I had hoped. Not sure if it's the recipe, or just me... since I am new to biscuit making. I also forgot to check the oven a little early, so by the time my timer went off at 14 minutes, my first batch was already a little too browned. I'm also not sure why, but my biscuits browned a lot on the top, but not the sides (is that typical?).


I would call these biscuits good, but I wouldn't jump to calling them "too good" like Dorie does. Perhaps that is because I omitted the pecans and I didn't get to experience these as they were intended. I enjoyed them by spreading some butter over them and then drizzling some honey on top. To me, the best biscuits are super buttery and flaky; they can be eaten alone, without the need for any butter, honey, jams, or jellies. If you want to read an interesting article about how to make good biscuits, click here.


Thanks Ashley, for picking this week's recipe and showing me that I can easily make my own biscuits at home. As the group continues to grow weekly (we've got 50 now!), make sure you check out the blog roll on the Tuesdays with Dorie blog to see how everyone elses' breakfast creations turned out.

Pecan Sour Cream Biscuits
from Baking: From My Home to Yours, by Dorie Greenspan

2 cups all-purpose flour (or 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/3 cup cake flour)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 10 pieces
1/2 cup cold sour cream (I used light sour cream)
1/4 cold whole milk (I used buttermilk)
1/3 cup finely chopped pecans, preferably toasted (I omitted these)

Getting Ready:
Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Get out a sharp 2-inch-diameter biscuit cutter and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.

Whisk the flour(s), baking powder, salt, and baking soda together in a bow. Stir in the brown sugar, making certain there are no lumps. Drop in the butter and, using your fingers, toss to coat the pieces of butter with flour. Quickly, working with your fingertips (my favorite method) or a pastry blender, cut and rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is pebbly. You'll have pea-size pieces, pieces the size of oatmeal flakes and pieces the size of everything in between-- and that's just right.

Stir the sour cream and milk together and pour over the dry ingredients. Grab a fork and gently toss and turn the ingredients together until you've got a nice soft dough. Now reach into the bowl with your hands and give the dough a quick gentle kneading-- 3 or 4 turns should be just enough to bring everything together. Toss in the pecans and knead 2 to 3 times to incorporate them.

Lightly dust a work surface with flour and turn out the dough. Dust the top of the dough very lightly with flour, pat the dough out with your hands or toll it with a pin until it is about 1/2 inch high. Don't worry if the dough isn't completely even-- a quick, light touch is more important than accuracy.

Use the biscuit cutter to cut out as many biscuits as you can. Try to cut the biscuits close to one another so you get the most you can out of the first round. By hand or with a small spatula, transfer the biscuits to the baking sheet. Gather together the scraps, working with them as little as possible, pat out to a 1/2-inch thickness and cut as many additional biscuits as you can; transfer these to the sheet. (The biscuits ca be made to this point and frozen on the baking sheet, then wrapped airtight and kept for up to 2 months. Bake without defrosting-- just add a couple more minutes to the oven time.)

Bake the biscuits for 14-18 minutes, or until they are tall, puffed and golden brown. Transfer them to a serving basket.

Yield: Approximately 12 biscuits

29 comments:

  1. stunning pictures! fluffy biscuits! Those look really good and the honey is making me drool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made biscuits, Jaime, and these look so delicious!
    Even if you won't give them the "too good" tag, I think they must be luscious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are perfect as always. And they look fab, sorry they didn't live up to expectations though. There is always next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job with your homemade biscuits! They look beautiful and the honey was a good call!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm.. your biscuits look fantastic and I love honey on my biscuits! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your biscuits rose beautifully! Mine ended up somewhat flat and scone like. I'm sure they tasted just as good as they looked!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm no good as biscuit making either!! And really.. there is something better out there than KFC biscuits?? :) just kidding..
    I can usually manage bisquick pretty well! I guess i'll have to sneak your recipe and try it out for myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh, that first picture just made me gain ten pounds! Well done! Your biscuits look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures are always amazing! Great job!
    -Clara

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so good! I can just picture having one now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your biscuits look great! Biscuits don't usually brown a lot on the sides - if you let them go that far, they can get hard. I've made a lot of biscuits in my day, but you could never tell by the results I got making these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. For a 'new' biscuit maker, I think they turned out great. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, I am so jealous. Yours turned out so perfect. The honey is a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yours look great with that honey! I love how fluffy they are!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe yours were not as flaky as you wanted, but they look bigger than most. Yum! I really enjoyed mine with honey also! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think your biscuits look fabulous! Mine were also a little too brown at 14 minutes and my sides didn't brown either. This was my first time making homemade biscuits so I really didn't know what to expect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with you - buttery layers are what biscuits are about. But those look wonderfully fluffy and tasty, so I guess that works too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those look so good! Nice photos! I like the idea of having them with melted butter and honey.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yours are BEAUTIFUL!!! I went with some honey too, and used a glass also because I don't own cookie cutters :)
    Great job, they look so yummy in your pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn't eat mine but I thought the pecans would have been distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jaime, I think your biscuits look fabulous! I wish mine had risen so high!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum they look great! Thanks for the link to making good biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Okay, now I am really hungary! Those look deeelicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. YUM! those look just awesome. honey is the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow,
    These look beautiful!! Great pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, yeah, nobody makes biscuits like Southern grandmas. The best biscuits I have ever had were in NC. Sometimes I'd like to fly there just to have one. Yours look outrageously delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  27. They look beautiful! My biscuit exposure was Bisquick, KFC, and the tube ones sold at the grocery. It was a lot of fun to make some on my own though!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your biscuits look terrific! And your pictures are amazing.

    ReplyDelete